What sounds like a circus act is actually the reality of having several different projects going on at once, all at different stages. Out on submission, revising, copy editing, Lately, when I sit down for my writing time at night, I have to ask myself… What’s on my desk right now, and what’s off it?
Tonight’s status report…
On my desk:
- Two presentations for the NYS English Council Conference in Albany on Thursday. I’ll be giving two workshops: Historical Fiction as a Bridge to Content Area Literacy and Walking the Walk: How Teacher/Writers Encourage Student Revision. My PowerPoint presentations are updated and ready to go, but I need to get my materials packed AND I need to finish reading a pile of fantastic ARCs from some fellow 2009 debut authors so I can talk them up to the teachers and then give them away.
- My second MARTY MCGUIRE chapter book for Scholastic. I’m wrapping up a first round of revisions before I send Marty off to some critique partners.
- SUGAR ON SNOW, the middle grade novel that’s my current WIP. I finished Chapter 6 tonight. I’m really excited about this one, but I think I need to make a trip to Lake Placid for research before I write too much more.
(Truth be told, there’s also a whole bunch of other stuff on my desk, including a few newspaper clippings, some books, a pen holder made of popsicle sticks, index cards, rocks, notebooks, photographs, bookmarks, a kid’s homework that I hope is not due tomorrow, and an orange Tootsie Pop. There used to be a chocolate one, too, but I ate that while I was writing the end of Chapter 6.)
Off my desk for right now:
- THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z, my Fall ’09 middle grade novel with Walker Books. Gianna is spending some time in NYC for copy editing. (Do you think she’ll get to see a show while she’s there?) I expect her home around the end of the month.
- MARTY MCGUIRE, FROG PRINCESS, my first Marty chapter book for Scholastic. My latest Marty revision went back to my editor last week.
- OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW, my picture book with Chronicle Books. I’m waiting for a decision on an illustrator. I’ve heard bits and pieces of some very exciting possibilities, but nothing definite yet.
- A new picture book that’s out there in the world right now. Think good thoughts for it, okay? I’m very fond of it and have high hopes that I’ll be able to make it what it needs to be to find a home.
Off my desk for good:
- Son’s leaf collection project (which wasn’t on my desk, exactly, but it meant that the boy was hogging my computer and dripping pine needles all over the living room floor, so it still counts.) He is turning it in tomorrow, and we will both rejoice.
What about you? What’s on your desk right now? What’s off your desk for now and could use some good thoughts from the rest of us?