Many, many, many thanks to all of you who have donated auction items, spread the word via social media and your email groups, and bid on charity auctions from the KidLit Cares Children’s Book Community as we raise money for the Red Cross Disaster Relief effort in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy. You are all amazing and have made me weepy more than once with your generosity and general awesomeness over the past few days . There are 42 auctions listed now — everything from manuscript and portfolio critiques to Skype author visits with signed books, and even a free pass to get your manuscript to a Chronicle Books editorial meeting. There are great opportunities for writers, illustrators, teachers, librarians, book clubs, and parents, and the full list is below, with links.
For now, we’re taking a short break from listing new auction items so that people have time to discover and bid on the great donations that are already here. But the good news is, there will be a second round of KidLit Cares auctions very, very soon. My friend & fellow Bloomsbury/Walker author Joanne Levy, is taking the reins for this second phase of the fundraiser, which will be hosted here. (I have yet to meet Joanne in person but immediately liked her when I was in the middle of setting up Teachers Write last summer and she tweeted at me: “I am an organizational goddess. Is there anything I can do to help you?” Joanne is indeed one of the most organized people on the planet. She’s passionate about books and helping people, and she’d doing a great job with Round Two already.)
We’ve received incredible offers for auction items for this new round, including more agent & author manuscript critiques, signed book collections, a website design package, and original art from illustrators. So please watch for those. If you’d like to make a donation, too, you can email Joanne at the dedicated email address she’s set up for the next phase of KidLitCares: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For now, please keep those bids coming and continue to help us spread the word about KidLid Cares by sharing our link for the current auctions with your friends. You can copy & paste this link for sharing:
Kid-Lit Cares: Superstorm Sandy Relief Effort
And our Twitter hashtag is #KidLitCares.
One more time…thanks. It’s a joy and an honor to be a part of this reading, writing, and teaching community online.
1. Manuscript Critique with Caroline Abbey of Bloomsbury
2. Manuscript Critique & Signed Books from Julie Berry
3. Manuscript Critique with Laurie Halse Anderson
4. Manuscript Critique with Jo Knowles
5. 20-minute Phone Chat with Agent Erin Murphy
6. School Skype Gift Bag from Author Laurel Snyder!
7. Perfect Your Pitch Package with Author Erin Dionne
8. Query Critique & Phone Chat with Agent Jennifer Laughran
9. Manuscript Critique with Agent Pam van Hylckama
10. Skype Author Visit with Laurie Halse Anderson
11. Skype Visit with Veronica Roth, Author of DIVERGENT
12. Phone Call with Poet & Author Nikki Grimes
13. Picture Book Critique with Author Jean Reidy!
14. Manuscript Critique & Phone Call with Egmont USA Publisher Elizabeth Law
15. Full YA or MG Manuscript Critique with Author Kody Keplinger
16. Picture Book Critique with Author Deborah Underwood
17. Skype Visit with Mo Willems!
18. Skype Visit & Signed Books from Author Linda Urban
19. Skype Author Visit & Signed Books from Sara Lewis Holmes
20. Skype Visit & Signed Books from Barbara O’Connor
21. Writer’s Care Package from Sarah Aronson
22. Picture Book Critique with Michelle Knudsen
23. “Free Pass” to Chronicle Books Editorial Meeting & Picture Book Critique with Editor Melissa Manlove
24. For Authors: School and Library Planning & Publicity Package from Kate Messner
25. Manuscript Critique with Author April Henry
26. Manuscript Critique with Author Sarah Darer Littman
27. Poetry or Picture Book Critique with Author Kelly Fineman
28. Author/Agent Tag-Team Picture Book Critique & Submission Package w/ Anne Marie Pace & Linda Pratt
29.Signed Fairy Tale Retellings & a Personal Letter from Author Diane Zahler
30. Manuscript Critique & Phone Call with Agent Michelle Witte
30A (I apparently like the number 30 and used it twice.) Release Day Launch Package for your YA/MG Book from InkSlinger PR
31. Manuscript Critique & Signed Book from Editor Cheryl Klein
32.Month9Books 2013 “Books for a Year” Package
33.Skype Author Visit & Signed Books from Ellen Hopkins
34. School Author Visit with Sarah Albee (CT, NY, MA, & DC only)
35. New England School or Library Author Visit with Cynthia Lord
36. Signed Books (and a character named after you!) from Author Robin Wasserman
37. Query & Manuscript Critique Package with Author Tessa Gratton
38. 50-page Fantasy or Science Fiction Critique with Author Gwenda Bond
39. 3-Day Writing Retreat at The Writing Barn in Austin
40. Skype Author Visit with Newbery Medalist Linda Sue Park
41. Portfolio Critique with Penguin Art Director Giuseppe Castellano