LitWorld’s magical World Read Aloud Day is February 16, 2017 – and one of the fun traditions of this day of sharing stories is for authors around the world to Skype into classrooms & libraries for short read-alouds. For the past few years, I’ve helped out by compiling a list of author volunteers so that teachers & librarians can connect with them to schedule Skype sessions on that day.
Teachers & librarians: Please hold tight for right now… the list will be coming soon!
Authors & Illustrators: Are you a traditionally published* author or illustrator who would like to be listed as a WRAD Skype volunteer? Please read the information & follow the directions below…
WRAD Skype visits aren’t long or fancy presentations. Usually, they last 10-15 minutes and go something like this:
- 1-2 minutes: Author introduces himself or herself and talks a little about his or her books.
- 3-5 minutes: Author reads aloud a short picture book, or a short excerpt from a chapter book/novel
- 5-10 minutes: Author answers some questions from students about reading/writing
- 1-2 minutes: Author book-talks a couple books he or she loves (but didn’t write!) as recommendations for the kids
Interested in volunteering? If you’re a traditionally published* author or illustrator, here’s how to sign up:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the subject line, write WRAD Skype volunteer.
- In the body of the email, please put these SIX pieces of information, in this exact format, so that it can be copied & pasted into the list:
-Grade level for which your books are most appropriate
(Younger Elementary, Older Elementary, All Elementary, Middle School, or High School)
-Hours you’ll be available and your time zone
-Email where you’d like to be contacted with Skype inquiries OR a link to the contact page on your website
Here’s a sample, showing what the body of your email should look like:
Random House Books for Young Readers
8 am- 2pm EST
Thanks for using this exact format. It saves so much time. Once I have all of your information in this format, I’ll add you to the list, which will be shared in early October.
IMPORTANT: Whenever your schedule for WRAD is full, please send another email to email@example.com to let me know that. As soon as I can, I’ll cross your name off the list so you don’t keep getting requests.
*This list is limited to traditionally published authors/illustrators to limit its size and scope because I’m one person with limited time. However, if someone else would like to compile and share a list of self-published and ebook author/illustrator volunteers, I think that would be absolutely great, and I’ll happily link to it here. Just let me know!