LitWorld’s magical World Read Aloud Day is February 1, 2018 – and one of the fun traditions of this day of sharing stories is for authors around the world to Skype into classrooms & libraries for short read-alouds. For the past few years, I’ve helped out by compiling a list of author volunteers so that teachers & librarians can connect with them to schedule Skype sessions on that day.
Teachers & librarians: Please hold tight for right now… the list will be coming soon!
Authors & Illustrators: Are you a traditionally published* author or illustrator who would like to be listed as a WRAD Skype volunteer? Please read the information & follow the directions below…
WRAD SKYPE VISITS AREN’T LONG OR FANCY PRESENTATIONS. USUALLY, THEY LAST 10-15 MINUTES AND GO SOMETHING LIKE THIS:
- 1-2 minutes: Author gives a quick introduction & talks a little about their books.
- 3-5 minutes: Author reads aloud a short picture book, or a short excerpt from a chapter book/novel
- 5-10 minutes: Author answers some questions from students about reading/writing
- 1-2 minutes: Author book-talks a couple books they love (but didn’t write!) as recommendations for the kids
Interested in volunteering? If you’re a traditionally published* author or illustrator, here’s how to sign up:
- Send an email to email@example.com. (Please do not try to send your info in a comment, Twitter DM, or any other way. It won’t be included unless it’s sent via this WRADSkype email address.)
- In the subject line, write WRAD Skype volunteer.
- In the body of the email, please share your name, publisher, grade level for which your books are most appropriate (Elementary, Middle, or High School), hours you’ll be available and your time zone, your website, and your email or contact page on your website.
Here’s a sample, showing what the body of your email should look like. Please use this exact format so your entry can be copied & pasted into the list.
Random House Books for Young Readers
8 am- 2pm EST
Thanks for using this exact format. It saves so much time. Once I have all of your information in this format, I’ll add you to the list, which will be shared in November.
IMPORTANT: Whenever your schedule for WRAD is full, please send another email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know that. As soon as I can, I’ll cross your name off the list so you don’t keep getting requests.
*This list is limited to traditionally published authors/illustrators to limit its size and scope because I’m one person with limited time. However, if someone else would like to compile and share a list of self-published and ebook author/illustrator volunteers, I think that would be absolutely great, and I’ll happily link to it here. Just let me know!